Using real food in training can get difficult, not only in terms of convenience, but for making sure it’s nutritionally what’s needed for your athlete. Plus, I find that so many of the recipes for bars and whatnot have too much in them and we like to keep it simple and clean.
We’ve been playing around – yes I say we, meaning me and my triathlete – with lots of different combinations and these are by far, made with NuttZo, are new favorites. The twins will even grab one as a quick snack. They’re easy, delicious, nutritious, and packed with power!
- 1 cup NuttZo- pick your favorite flavor
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/4 cup powered protein - your favorite. (I use an all natural one that has a plain or vanilla flavor, as the honey already adds so much flavor).
- A generous pinch of salt; use sea salt as it's finer - Kosher salt is too grainy.
- Almond slivers, chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut flakes, or rolled oats for coating.
- Now for the hard part- put everything in a bowl and mix!
- Depending on the texture, you may need to add a little more honey to combine.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on wax paper.
- Coat them in your favorite coating.
- You can store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- I also freeze and then pull some out and pack for when we travel.