No matter how much I love to cook or how much time I have, it always seems that there are those days I just want to be done making dinner or not do it all! So, I decided I am letting go of my crazy food rules a bit this year and gave myself a challenge of getting a complete dinner done in 30 minutes start to finish! Bam…
All of my 30 Minute Healthy Dinners will be from what I have in the house and with no true measurements. Use what you have, change what you need to, and make it to suit your own tastes and those of your family. All measurements will be “about” and again, you can use what you like and have on hand at home.
Happy clean eating!
30 MINUTE HEALTHY DINNERS – SHRIMP SOUP
- 6-8 ounce piece of fish cut in chunks – I used cod, but any solid white fish will do
- 4-6 large shrimp/person (8-12 total)
- 1 sm onion, leek, or a nice-sized shallot diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- Optional: I have also added a bit of carrot and zucchini
- 1 jar clam juice or fish stock, about 8 ounces. I make fish stock a few times a year and freeze in 8 ounce containers.
- 2 cups water
- Tomatoes – use what you have on hand; one 32 oz can diced tomatoes with juices or 1 can diced tomatoes and about 2 tbsp tomato pasta and an additional cup water or 1 lg can tomato puree
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- A pinch of thyme
- Olive oil for sauteing
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/2 cup white wine
- Heat add 1 tbsp of olive oil in soup pot
- Saute onion and celery until tender
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper
- Add fish and mix into veggies until fish starts to turn white
- Add clam juice, water, tomatoes, herbs, and wine and simmer on medium low for 15 minutes
- Turn up heat to medium
- Add shrimp and cook until shrimp is cooked through, about 6 minutes
While the stock is simmering, make a little salad, and cut a nice chuck of bread to dip in the soup. VOILA! Dinner is done in 30 minutes!