Fueling triathletes with foods that are real and good for them and the family can be exhausting AND expensive. We have found one way to provide a food high in benefits and house-cured, thus keeping the cost down. The best thing is that this food will also be loved by the family and keeps well. That food you ask…Well, it’s Gravlax!
Benefits of Gravlax
Being a cold water fish, salmon is rich in omega-3 and provides a healthy source of protein. It is considered a complete protein, as it provides every amino acid your body needs to make a protein. It is also high in iron and salt. If you’re watching your salt intake this may not be for you, but for triathletes, often it’s a battle to replace sodium, so this may be a plus.
Gravlax Buying Tips
- Try to always buy wild caught Gravlax to maximize health benefits.
- Stock up in-season and keep in your freezer. I talk to my fish monger and plan ahead, so he has them prepared for me and orders extra.
- To save money, buy a whole fish that costs less/pound and have your fish guy clean them. I ask for the head to be kept separate, so I can make stock and not have any waste.
How To Make Gravlax
- 3-4 pounds salmon (after cleaned with head off)
- 4 tablespoons course salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 2 bunches dill; rough chopped, including fresh part of stems
- 2-3 tablespoons gin or vodka – some people use Aquavit, but I use gin
- Plastic wrap
- Cookie sheet with sides or jelly roll pan – must be able to fit in your frig
- Second cookie sheet or large plate
- Bag of dried beans, coffee, or pie weights
- Prepare area by placing large sheets of plastic wrap on cookie sheets – you will be wrapping the salmon in these.
- Lay salmon sides out on plastic wrap, skin side down on cookie sheets.
- Using your tweezers, remove any pin bones you would like out.
- Drizzle each side of the salmon with 1/2 tablespoon of gin or vodka.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, sugar, and pepper.
- Evenly spread mixture over both filets.
- Evenly place dill on both filets.
- Drizzle remaining gin or vodka over the dill.
- Carefully place one file to top of the other flesh to flesh, tail to tail.
- Quickly and tightly, wrap filets sandwiched together, so that you capture the liquid.
- Place second cookie sheet or large plate on top and place a pound of beans, coffee, or pie weights on top.
- Place in frig for 3-6 days.
- Every 12 hours flip and every 24 hours open plastic wrap and baste with liquids rendered.
- When ready, it will have lost its translucence color.
- Slice and enjoy.
Gravlax will keep, covered and chilled, for up to a week in your refrigerator. It also freezes very well.