Update: This post is current as of 10/31/17.
We can’t believe we actually won’t be at Ironman Florida this year. We’ve been there for quite a few years in the past. Since, we do know the territory and the race, we still wanted to give you some updates to have at your disposal.
Remember, the race is on Saturday and not Sunday – trust us, this has been an issue – and the race is actually a week later this later; it was 11/1 last year. In addition, the swim actually starts much earlier this year with the pros going off at 6:05 am followed by the age groupers at 6:15 am. Let’s hope the weather is better as the swim was cancelled in 2014 due to high winds and a strong rip tide.
- Most of the activities we have found to do in the area have centered around water sports. A really nice place to visit is St. Andrews State Park, where part of the run takes place. Here you can enjoy all sorts of water sports, the nature trails, or just sit on the white sand beach. You can always check Visit Panama City Beach and other bloggers to see what activities others have found in case we’ve missed something.
- The Welcome Banquet will be held on Thursday from 5:30 – 7:15 pm at the Boardwalk Beach Resort Main Ballroom.
- There will be a complimentary Pancake Breakfast at the Boardwalk Beach Resort on Friday morning from 8 – 10 am.
- The IRONKIDS Panama City Fun Run will be at 3:30 pm on Friday at the Resort and you can register on site starting on Thursday.
- If you’re not staying close to the race site, there will a shuttle bus from the southeast corner of the Wal-Mart at 10270 Front Beach Road Saturday morning. They will start at 4:15 am and run every 1/2 hour. It will drop you off at Alvin’s Island, which is about 1/4 mile from the race site. It will run until Sunday at 1 am.
- The age groupers start at 6:40 am with a rolling start, doing this self-seeding thing based on what they think their finish time will be.
- Our Spectating Guide seems current and be sure to read Jodie’s posts from 2013. Make sure you also check the Ironman Spectator’s Guide or download a copy and bring it with you.
- The Celebration Breakfast will be from 8 – 10 am on Sunday at the Resort with the Awards Ceremony at 9:30.
- Several restaurants that we’ve eaten at and enjoyed:
- Firefly, which has seafood, pasta, and a variety of meat dishes; so, something for everyone. A bit more fine dining. It’s in a shopping center down the road from the race site.
- Saltwater Grill has just what you might think – seafood, but they also have steaks. Plus, they have an early bird menu for triathletes who don’t want to be out late and a 25,000 gallon aquarium to entertain you while you’re dining.
- Mellow Mushroom – If you’re looking for pizza, you can’t go wrong here. Plus, it’s very close to the race site.
We will miss everyone this year. We hope that the weather is picture perfect, that your triathlete has just an awesome race, and that you have a terrific day spectating!!!