Are you craving traditional, old-fashioned meatballs and want to serve them with your carb loading meal before a race? Well, I have a homemade meatballs recipe that you only need one bowl to make, cuts the grease, and you most likely already have all the ingredients in the house. That’s why I call them perfect…
I make a big batch and freeze the leftover meatballs to use at another time. They are great served with veggies, on a hoagie, or as an appetizer with a little mozzarella.
THE PERFECT HOMEMADE MEATBALLS
Makes 30 meatballs.
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 lbs group pork or bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 red pepper diced small
- 1 small onion diced
- 3/4 bread crumbs or panko
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
If you prefer, you can change the meat to 1 pound white turkey meat and 1 pound dark turkey meat.
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Line a cookie tray with foil or parchment and lightly oil with olive oil. This just makes easy clean up.
- Place all ingredients in a big bowl.
- Using a fork, gently beat eggs just to combine.
- Using washed hands, gently combine all ingredients together.
- Form into meatballs, about 2 inches round.
- Place on the cookie sheet; close, but not touching.
- Bake at 375 for about 25-30 minutes
- Add them to the sauce about 5-10 minutes before serving.
I make my own sauce, but you can use your favorite store bought. I, of course, serve over our favorite pasta for a carb loading meal…Enjoy!